Saturday 19 February 2011

One from the journal...

( the following extract is taken word for word from my last journal entry)


18/02/2011
Jetsetting ( You know you've been flying too much when you know the inflight magazine)

So, I think I've become quite blase about this whole flying malarky. I rock up to the wrong airport terminal, 2.5 hours after checkin in opened. In my defense, I thought I was flying domestic.

So, I was wrong. Luckily, I still had half an hour to play with and the queue wasn't long - after a waddling walk in between terminals and actually sweating my life away.

Red, sweaty and frantically fanning myself with my passport, I get to the check in desk to discover that my bag is now 19.2kg. Ouch! What happened? Need a cull, quick!

Oh and I also needed to prove that I had an onward flight from Bali. Ah. This is something that they either
a) don't make very clear
b) I didn't think about it. I like to think it was both.

Luckily, I did actually have an onward flight booked, just no proof. And also lucky that I changed my plans to make my stay in Oz longer, as I was planning to overstay my visa in Indonesia. Something I dont think they would let me do.

So, with my 19.2kg backpack plus rucksack and a Bolivian Hat, I quickly waddled - once again- to use the internet to email the check in guy my flight details. A $2.50 for 2 mins. Bargin.

And if all of that wasnt enough, the airline had me down as a man. A man?!? How is that possible? Idiots.

So made it through all of that, rushed through security to discover that Cairns International airport is a bit shit. There's one place to eat and like, no seats. So I had $6 worth of chips, sprayed myself in a ton of Diors Pure Poison (my fave) to cover up my sweaty backpacker state, and sat on the floor. Sigh.
So now I'm on the plane to Darwin, to spend 5 hours in the airport before finally getting to Bali. Its taken 3 cyclones, a late departure, 2 missed flights, 2 cancelled flights and approx $1000, but I'm finally leaving. What a journey eh?

Despite all the changes, throwing my money away and initially not enjoying it, I've loved Oz. The family, the friends, the lifestyle. I just wana come back - and once again, im sad to leave another place and always saying goodbye.

But at least this time, its "see you later"  :)

...

So, Darwin Airport. Smallest transit area ever. I need to kill a few more hours, so have some more handy travelling tips:

- Bring Pot pourri sachets to keep your clothes smelling good in your backpack. ( card perfume sticks from duty free at the airport also work for a bit as well)

- Keep your computer electricals in a seperate bag - saves time when trying to locate the USB, the card reader, other devices etc. And tie them in a know to save even more untangling time!

- I'ts handy to have a plastic knife, fork and spoon. You'd be surprised how hard these are to find when you need them.

- Bring brightly coloured string - handy for tying up zips in the airport (stops people going in stealing/planting drugs on you), tying up excess stuff to your bag, a washing lines in dorm rooms etc etc.

- tape - a lil roll if any kind of tape (preferably duct/electical as its stronger) will come in handy more often than you think.

- scrap paper/post it notes - very useful if you dont have a journal/ guidebook that you dont mind scribbling notes all over.

- whilst travelling, keep washing powder in an empty drinks bottle - much easier to transport.

- do not underestimate the power of waterproof mascara. Wish i'd taken this advice.

- Bring enough of the things you cant get out here and that you need. ie - the world doesnt sell vaseline roll on deos - weird as you cany buy other vaseline products...so far 5 months = 3 roll ons ( for those who are as equally allergic to alcohol as me and cant use other deos).

- dont use your uk phone in oz! unless you want 200 and 300 quid monthly phone bills. Like me. Ouch.

- girls, Oz apparently charges for contraceptives such as the pill (as my friend emily found out, they're not cheap) get it from home, where it is free! (or get the implant - no babies or periods for 3 years - best thing ever! and no mood swings - huzzah!)

- greyhound passes in oz are a con. get cheap flights and spend less time on stupid buses. Jetstar/virgin blue/ tiger airways are good for cheap domestic flights. i've done this and only taken 3 greyhounds. flying is the way to go.

Best Airports so far: Gatwick, Sydney, La Paz, Rurrenabaque (novelty factor), Brisbane.
Worst Airports so far: Hobart, Buenos Aires, Prosperine, Cairns, Darwin, Lima, Byron Bay.

Can you tell im bored yet?

Quotes i like from "Eight Lives Down"

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising each time we fall" - Confucius
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - TS Eliot
"It is foolish to fear what you cannot avoid" - Publilius Syrus

"I'd rather give my life than be afraid to give it" - Lynda Johnson

ok, so thats an insight to my wonderful journals!

finally made it to Bali and loving it! so thats "How for now!"

muchos love as ever xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment