Tuesday 1 February 2011

Cyclone City...

So, as I write this Cyclone Yasi is preparing to hit Queensland at a catagory 5 rating - the worst cyclone in almost 100 years. It can basically flatten houses. Luckily, I managed to get one of the last flights out of Cairns yesterday, and am now being well looked after in Brisbane :) finally, I get to see Brisbane.

The floods have disappeared from here, but the damage is clear - alot of businesses are still closed, and everything that was affected is kinda sad and grey. These guys have been through so much with the major floods and now cyclones...

Everyone is just waiting now. Cairns has been evacuated, as well as the Whitsunday Islands, Magnetic Island and everything inbetween. I'm just worried now about the 5 friends I have holed up in Cairns...just really hope everyone stays safe.

So my plans have changed, yet again, for the time being. I am due to fly up to Cairns on Monday - so hopefully the worst of the damage is done, so I can finally fly up to Indonesia. We'll just have to wait and see what happens!

Despite all this craziness, I am having a lovely time in Brisbane. Being treated like a princess!

And we saw Black Swan last night - for anyone who hasn't already seen it - its incredible. Haunting. Natalie Portman is truely fantastic. The story is dark and twisted, but as its from the director of Requiem for a Dream, you wouldn't expect anything less. And she totally deserves the Oscar. More than Sandra Bullock did. What happened there eh?

So for now, its the waiting game, to see how much damage there will be and how badly it will affect the communities. Fingers crossed. So glad I came to Brisbane.

Regina, Tanja, Eugenia, Emily and Henry - stay safe up there!!!

Muchos love xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment